Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mixed up new normal.

Life is full, and this weekend was full of LIFE. And full of cheesecake.




Saturday the 3rd was both the day of  my Dad's memorial service and my birthday. Again, weird. It was okay with me, but certainly a birthday I will always remember. The memorial service was simple and special. At the birthday party afterwards I was surrounded with family and friends who love me; that was nice... There was cake and candles and singing and gifts. And I am so thankful for that. But I was exhausted and the undertone was emotional. But I guess that happens when you have a funeral and a birthday party in the same day. It's naturally inconsistent. I don't know. I don't have the right words. My heart is all mixed up.



That being said, it was a FUN weekend spent with my husband, mom, sister, and nephew. We shared memories. We laughed a lot. We drank. We ate non-stop. We shed some tears, but not too many. We played cards. I didn't run. I slept in and lounged around and ate bacon. I hadn't missed a run yet, and I figured that this was a significant enough life event to just take a day or three and rest and rehydrate and be present.



I am back to work now. Back at home. I guess things return to "normal", whatever that looks like now. For my everyday life, it doesn't mean much. Other than calling home and talking to him for a couple minutes, and giving him a kiss on the top of the head when I went home to visit, my dad wasn't a significant part of my everyday life for the last couple years. I don't really feel that different.... until I remember that I can't call and talk to him, and I won't see him in his chair when I go home, and he won't be telling me what to do and how to do it. That's the new normal, I guess.


No comments: