Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hopefully this makes sense to your brain, too.

During my run today (FIVE MILES!!! I want to shout it from the rooftops that I just ran FIVE miles!) I listened to possibly one of my favorite episodes of This American Life yet. You can listen to it here. You should probably just go listen to it because the re-cap I'm about to do will not do it justice. But one of the stories was about a dad who electrically rigged his car with a rotary phone dial in the middle of the steering wheel, and when he would enter a “code” on the dial, the car would start. He had a code for everything; if someone wanted their window down or seat reclined, there was a code for that. It took him months of work to set it all up. But in the end, he had a car that only he could control, because only he knew the codes. His daughter is a producer for the show, and as she's telling the story, she talks about how everyone in the family has heard the story multiple times. They have parts of it memorized. Her dad is so proud of this car he tricked out 50+ years ago. He will tell anyone who will listen. And the moral of his story was that you can do ANYTHING if you set your mind to it however weird it seems.

This struck me for two reasons.

First, I have one of those dads. His brain wires don't really cross correctly anymore (Parkinson's and being 91 – booooo), but in his day my dad could weave a tale. I have heard some of his stories probably 20 times. And every time, he would tell them to me like this was the first time he had ever told anyone, let alone me. Even now, he'll try to start a story, and he'll get confused about the details or the time-line, and my mom and I are usually able to finish it for him. Because we've heard it THAT MANY TIMES. But for me it's one of those memories that isn't far enough in the past that it's cute or funny yet. Like, it still annoys me to think about having to sit through one of my dad's stories. It's not something I miss about him, yet. Not sure if it ever will be.

Secondly, I found myself likening my half-marathon to this dad's code-car. It will take me months to train for, and then it will be done. I will be so proud of myself, and I will want to tell everyone my tale. But realistically, no one will really want to hear it. They'll listen to me to make me feel good, and then say “Wow, Laura, that's great! Good job!”. Which is great. It really will make me feel good. But just like Car-Dad, I am the one who will know all the details and everything that went into this accomplishment. In the same way that the details of the car didn't matter to anyone else, the details of what this marathon means to me aren't important for anyone else. It's just for me. It's a ton of work. It's getting up early, it's soreness, it's being super mindful of nutrition, it's time management, and on and on and on..... Training becomes a lifestyle. So for me, the moral of the story is that this is just for me, and always will be. But if I set my mind to it, I can do it.

No comments: