Monday, October 8, 2012

Welcome back, Me!


(Written Saturday, June 23, 2012)
I tend to think in terms of “what was I doing one year ago right now…” It helps me get a handle on the passage of time, my progress (or lack there-of) through life, to remember to be grateful…. So, one year ago right now, I was doing…. well, THIS. Blogging. Except in mostly different circumstances.
And I loved it. I loved the therapy (for lack of a better word) of putting my thoughts out there for anyone or no one to read. But that backfired badly for me, as people acted as though because I put something on the interwebz, it became their personal business to handle/comment on/fix. I partly blame myself, for not establishing clear boundaries from the start. So, I stopped the blogging. At least the blogging about anything other than what I could post vanilla pictures of. But it felt fake…. I was in a different head-space than what I was depicting on my blog, but couldn’t share it because people would see it and take it upon themselves to tell me how to be different. I guess that’s enough details about why I stopped.
All this to say, I’m starting again. Because I miss writing. This is not for anyone but me. If you find it, I’m glad. Read it. Enjoy it on whatever level you want. DO NOT contact me or Thomas with judgements, questions, or suggestions of how to live our life. If we need your help with life, we’ll ask. In the same spirit of boundaries, I won’t write about anyone’s business but my own. I think that’s pretty clear. (“Man, she’s kinda rude.”)
I’m not traveling anymore, other than down the road of life (wow, that was cheesy….), so I realize that this won’t be a non-stop thrill-ride if you do subscribe. But it’s for me, so it is what it is.
So, what have I been doing for the last year? Here are some of the highlights, in no particular order:
  • We have set up a new life in Phoenix, I’m working at a job I enjoy (as much as one can enjoy a job that isn’t a career), Thomas finished his thesis and graduated with his Masters (I don’t think I could be more PROUD), and the cats are as furry and cat-ish as ever.
  • I got really depressed and then spent about six months in counseling. WORTH EVERY PENNY and I’m doing much better now.
  • I got an iPhone. Anti-smartphone-me got an iPhone. It’s been 7 months and I’m still very much in love.
  • I started running/hiking/working out/etc. Still doing yoga regularly. My sweet friend Darla has been instrumental in this – an encouraging, motivating force that inspired me to get out of bed WAY earlier on many a Saturday than normal Laura would have been willing to. We hiked the Seven Summits of Phoenix (well, six…), I ran a 5K, struggled through 4.2 miles at Pat’s Run, and I’m planning on dominating a half-marathon in January. 


  • I’ve gotten pretty good at Words With Friends. Yessss…..
  • I got PRK (vision-correction surgery) and I’m SO very glad. Life changing. Not for the faint of heart.
So, I hope this is the first post of many. I want this to be some kind of outlet for me. Not sure what it will look like, yet.

No comments: